What to Bring

  • Everything you want to eat and drink, drinking water
  • All bedding including sheets and pillows (all double beds) We offer linen rentals for $50/bed
  • All personal belongings and hygiene items
  • Everything for the bathroom except toilet paper
  • Coarse grind coffee for the percolator
  • Bug spray and sunscreen, drying rack or rope for drying bathing suits, clothes pins, etc.
  • Entertainment (water toys, cards, fishing rods, hiking shoes, etc.)
  • Please bring alcoholic beverages in cans, plastic, or cardboard (wine)
  • Extras to Bring Along: Towels, Fishing Gear, Flashlight, Rain Gear

Provided For You

  • 6 or 8 Place Setting: Dinner plates, side plates, bowls, mugs, drinking cups, 2 mixing bowl, butter knives, steak knives, forks, spoons, tea spoons,
  • Cookware: One stovetop kettle, three pots, one cast-iron frying pan, 1 colander/strainer, 1 cutting board, 1 chopping knife, large serving/cooking spoons, spatula/egg flipper, can opener, corkscrew, lighter, BBQ tongs, BBQ brush, stovetop coffee percolator.
  • Cleaning: broom, dust pan, wet-jet mop, 1 dish sponge, 1 dish drying rack.
  • Propane for the 3-burner stove, small fridge/freezer, BBQ and heater.
  • **No Oven, No Microwave(56’ houseboats have microwave) – All cooking must be done by BBQ or stovetop.
  • **No Toaster (you are able to make toast using the BBQ or with a stovetop camp toaster, which are available upon request)


  • 4 deck chairs, 1 Large cooler, 1-5 gal. water container (full – drinkable)
  • 2 boat hooks, tie lines, 1 anchor. (for docking or mooring)
  • Navigational charts, Trent-Severn Ports Cruising Guide.
  • Tablet providing digital charts with a boat icon that plots along with you and shows depths of location.
  • 1 Fire Extinguisher (full), 12 flares, first aid kit, 6 or 8 adult life preservers. THESE ITEMS ARE FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY (Please bring personal life jacket for children and casual use. As well as, minor medical supplies)
  • **No fish finder. **No wi-fi.
  • There is NO HYDRO aboard our 32’, 40’ or 42’ houseboats, unless you are plugged into a shore power source. There is a 12V lighter port in the dash of these houseboats that allow a usb plug in for charging electronics from the aux. battery aboard. (we recommend doing majority of your charging while the boat is running, to avoid draining this battery) All other appliances run off propane.
  • There are outlets on the 56′ boats and they have a built-in generator.

Attractions & Events

Dining – Restaurants along the way:

  • Bobcaygeon: Bobcaygeon Inn, Graz, 72 Bolton Sports Cafe, Just for the Halibut.
  • Fenelon Falls: Murphy’s Lockside Pub & Patio, The Locker at the Falls Restaurant and Pub, On The Locks.
  • Lindsay: Tastee Shack, The Queen’s Bistro, The Cat & The Fiddle.
  • Rosedale: Neski’s – The Lunchbox(Take-Out only)
  • Buckhorn: Main St. Bar & Grill, The Olde Ice House, The Cody Inn Restaurant)
  • Young’s Point: Lock & Anchor Eatery
  • Lakefield: Canoe & Paddle, Cassis Bistro, The Nutty Bean Cafe
  • Peterborough: Ashburnham Ale House, Lighthouse Lounge & Grill, The Riverside Grill & Gazebo (Holiday Inn)

Things To Do On Your Vacation

  • Shopping – Quaint little stores, antique shops, auction houses
  • Water – canoe, kayak, fishing, swimming (we rent Canoes)
  • The Arts – Academy Theatre, Lakeview Arts Barn. Art Gallery of Peterborough
  • History – Museums, Settlers Village, Ojibway Centre.
  • Spa Day – Spend the day pampering yourself at one of the many Spas and Salons
  • Outdoors –The Kawarthas are home to over 600 kms of trails that you can bike and hike on. There are many golf courses to choose from along the way or spend the day looking at the wildlife

Check out these websites to find Special Events happening in towns along the way:

Frequently Asked Questions

Which boats have a flybridge?

A Flybridge allows you to drive your houseboat from the roof of the boat.
All of our 32′ and 40′ & 56’ houseboats have a flybridge

Do you supply kid’s lifejackets

Yes. We offer children’s Personal Floatation Devices (PFD) on site, based on the general weight range of the child. Please let us know this weight prior to your arrival to have them ready.
However, we would prefer you to bring your own to ensure a proper fit.

Do you allow pets?

We allow small pets and service animals, at a cost of $75.00 per pet, to a maximum of 2. Your pet will count towards the total occupancy of the houseboat. EGAN HOUSEBOAT RENTALS reserves the right to charge any additional cleaning services required, due to your pet, to a maximum of $300.00.

*Please note that all pets MUST BE CRATED while your boat is unattended. Crates are not supplied, so you are responsible to bring your own.

Do you offer ‘Early Boarding’?

Yes, we offer Early Boarding for 7 day and 4 day midweek rentals. Time and weather permitting, you are able to leave the night prior to your booking date; or it can gives you an early start the next morning.
There is a $99.00 charge, and must be pre-arranged with the office.

Which soaps are bio-degradable?

Dawn dish soap is bio-degradable.
Herbal Essence Shampoo and Conditioner are bio-degradable.
Bar Soap marked biodegradable– There are many different scents to choose from.

How many people can sleep on each boat?

Boat rented must not exceed maximum capacity.

  • 32′ – 4 adults on 2 double beds, 2 children on pull down bunk;
  • 40′ – 6 adults on 3 double beds, 2 children on pull down bunk (2 additional adults or children if equipped with Rooftop Sleeper
  • 42′ – 10 adults;
  • 56’ – 15 adults.

How far can we get?

  • A 7 day rental will allow you to travel to Peterborough OR to Gamebridge and back to our Marina
  • A 4 Day rental weekend or midweek will allow you to travel to Fenelon Falls OR Burleigh Falls and back to our Marina. 
  • From our location on Pigeon Lake you are able to travel 5 lakes without going through any locks: Pigeon Lake, Big Bald and Little Bald Lakes, Upper Buckhorn Lake and Chemong Lake.

These travel estimations will vary based on weather conditions & time of departure.

Absolutely no crossing Lake Simcoe in our houseboats. 

How much can we expect to spend on gas?

Typically our houseboater’s travel about 3-4 hours a day. The fuel will cost about $20 per hour, you will not have to fill up everyday and will vary depending on how far and how fast you travel each day.

What is included in the rental fee?

The rental rate includes the use of vessel, propane, all of your safety equipment, charts, and paper products (toilet paper and paper towel). The kitchen comes equipped with pots, pans and utensils. In addition to this rental rate you will have an optional insurance deductible buy down for $29/day and a mandatory lock pass for $10/day

What is not included in the rental fee?

The rental fee does not include 13% HST tax, Fuel at end of trip, Lock Pass, and any damage done. Additional fees may apply for overnight dockage if you choose to stay at certain locations.

What is the deductible buydown?

All of our houseboats have insurance coverage with a deductible of $2500.00. We will hold this deductible as a deposit for the duration of your rental and return this back to you at the end of your rental as long as all equipment is returned in good working order. We offer a buy down of this deductible from $2500.00 to $500.00 for a cost of $29/day. Some home owner’s policies cover for rental vehicles, please be aware that if damages occur in this situation, the cost of damages will be taken out of your $2500.00 deductible deposit and will need to be claimed for reimbursement personally through your personal insurance company.

What else do you rent?

  • Linens $50/Bed
  • Canoe Rental $100 Flat Rate for the duration of your rental
  • Kayak Rental $75 Flat Rate for the duration of your rental
  • Adults Paddle Board $75 Flat Rate for the duration of your rental
  • Junior Paddle Board $50 Flat Rate for the duration of your rental
  • Children’s Life Jackets are FREE upon request. (We will require the children’s weights in advance to provide the correct size)

Do I require a boat license?

No, to rent with us, the Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card is not required at this time. However, you must be at least 25 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license. Upon completion of the orientation training, we will issue a temporary license that is in accordance with the Coast Guard requirements. This license is only valid during the rental agreement period with Egan Houseboat Vacations.

We highly encourage our guests to obtain the PCOC but, it is not required.

This will give you a base theory of boating and operating the houseboat and we also encourage first timers to request driving lessons upon arrival and to account for the additional time this will take during your boarding. One of our staff members will be happy to take you out in our little bay and have you practice docking and driving with supervision until you feel comfortable on your own.

Do I need a fishing license?

Anyone between the ages of 18 and 65 needs to obtain a fishing license. They are available at Home Hardware in Bridgenorth(closest to our location), many locations on the water or online at www.huntandfishontario.ca (Zone 17)
2nd Saturday in May – Walleye/Pickerel
1st Saturday in June – Muskie
3rd Saturday in June – Large and Smallmouth Bass
4th Saturday in April – Trout

See Ontario Fishing Regulation Summary Zone 17 for slot size and limits. 

Can we travel on Lake Simcoe?

No. We do not allow our houseboats to travel on Lake Simcoe. It is such a large body of water, the waves can get over 6 ft high. The houseboats were not designed to travel in that size of wave.

Do cell phones work on the water?

Yes, however it is like anywhere else – it depends on who your carrier is. The best ones for our area are Bell and Rogers. Most U.S. carriers have an arrangement with Canadian carriers to pick up your service in this area.

How big is the refrigerator?

Our 32′ 40′ and 42′ have a 7.5 cu. ft. RV fridge with separate freezer. The 56′ has 2 of these units.

Where can we stay at night?

You can anchor in a bay, tie to an abandon shore line, or stay at the dock where you picked up the boat – all free of charge. You can stay at the locks, marinas, campgrounds and trailer parks along your route. Some of them will charge you according to the facilities they offer. Call ahead or pull in and ask for availability.

Are the bugs bad?

We always recommend bringing bug repellent items, including bug spray along. Being on the open water most of day combined with a natural breeze or breeze from travel will keep most bugs away. They will get bad for an hour or so around dusk depending where you dock, forested areas will be worse than open areas.

Emergency on board?

In the event of an emergency or breakdown, you will be provided with help line numbers to call during your orientation. 

Emergency 911 also works in our area.